Sunday 9 December 2012

Inspired by Erté

Hi There

I discovered Erté in art class last week.  My goodness, what can I say?  This man sure knew how to design, draw, paint, colour, inspire and create beautiful masterpieces.  I must confess to just a touch of awe looking at his creations and feeling a hint of jealousy upon seeing a photo man who looks better in a frock than I do.

Seriously, if you love clothes, interior design and all things art-deco-ey and fantastically over the top, you *must* check him out.  

In honour of this artist, I offer you today's 'masterpiece', inspired by one of his gorgeous designs:



This painting was extra fun to create because I'd decided that I wanted to try something new in art class and Ms Kathy suggested that I try using ink.  

Mmmmm, this medium was absolutely delicious to use.  (Hmmm, that last sentence was odd.  Maybe it is because I'm feeling a tad peckish.  No, in case you worry, I didn't actually drink any ink.  I don't tend to consume odd food-stuffs.  The weirdest thing I've ever eaten was a piece of chalk and a tub of perkins' paste when I was a kid.  I can recall it being very chalky and paste-y (in that order).  Word of warning - don't try this combo if you happen to be suffering from constipation is all I can say!)  

Sorry I digress - back to the artwork!  The ink colours are bold and I liked the way the medium doesn't run the way water colour does.  This was really exciting for a novice like me.  The only thing that I found to be a bit of a negative is that the inks are quite a permanent.  Once they go down, they're down and not going anywhere (kinda like bubble-gum). I had my heart in my mouth as I painted her and I truly felt butterflies in my stomach.  I sighed a big sigh of relief when I finished her.  She wasn't perfect, but she'd do.  Phew!  

Thanks very much for stopping by and seeing what I've been up to.   I'm off to bake dinner!

Kate








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!