Saturday 6 July 2013

Looking At The Ongoing Evolution of Me

I decided for a bit of fun to go through and create an "Art Finds Kate" self portrait timeline. Why do such a thing, you ask?  Well, it's because I find going through and looking at myself as time passes by to be a most interesting exercise.  I never knew before, for instance, how my eyes could be so wonky, or my lips so luscious...

Nah, only kidding! I'm not that up myself.  It's really to have an opportunity to compare artworks by moi to see if I have improved my drawing skills over time (or not).

Brace yourself and take a deep breath - here we go, starting from the very beginning and finishing with yesterday's attempt:


(Early 2011) We all have to start somewhere, right? I started this journey with no experience at all in art.  (I can see my issue with drawing wonky eyes has been evident right from the start...)






(Mar-Apr 2011)I tried to draw Twinkle Eyes and Me.  I look like I'm made of plastic - I guess at least I look happy!





(Mid 2011) Holy Crap - Kate in drag - what happened here?





(Mid-Late 2011) Awww bless me, I obviously decided to try for a serious look with this one. Pity my eyes are wonky and wayyyyy too far from my mouth.






(Late 2011/Early 2012) Seriously, what is it with my eyes? I think I was going for a "knowing look" here.  It's not, it's just plain *F*R*E*A*K*Y!





(Mid 2012) The next two portraits makes me laugh.  In this portrait my neck is so long it looks like I could reach into trees and eat leaves...





(Mid 2012) Whereas in this one I don't even have a neck. I associate the word "Turtle" with this portrait.  It think it's because my head looks like it is going to recede into my hat any second in horror after looking at my crappy drawing of myself.






(End 2012) Still a few problems with eyes, but starting to have a break through...





(Mid 2013) Today's offering. Eye placement to the right as you looking at it slightly dodgy, but I think the drawing actually has a greater sense of depth than earlier attempts.  I also think it isn't bad for 10 minutes worth of work without the aid of an eraser.  Also, kidlets and hubby recognised it as a drawing of me, so that has to be a breakthrough, right?

In summary, I can see I still have quite a way to go.  But you know what, I think I can see that I actually am starting to make some progress. I don't mind. I realised long ago that it was never going to be a quick journey for Art to Find Kate. I just have to keep trying and be patient.

Thanks for stopping by and seeing all of me,

Kate
x

2 comments:

  1. I think that you have made definite progress - your most recent portrait is very good! Your drawing of facial features, their placement as well as the overall facial structure have all improved significantly in each of these portraits. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous

    Thanks so much for taking the time to post a comment! I'm really glad that you can see that I've improved over time. :-)

    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!