Friday 27 May 2011

The Fragility of Making Progress: First Landscape, Part 3


It ain't easy being the new kid in town...
Comparing this progress shot of my painting to my last post, I'm relieved to be able to say that I can definitely see some improvement at last.  I hope you can see some progress as well.

The thing is that I'm still feeling at this point that the painting is screaming to the world "Looky, look at me everyone!  I'm Kate's first ever landscape painting. Look at those funny leaves, look at the dodgy water - Bwa-Ha-Ha!"  and that really annoys me.  Even if it's true.  Maybe it's because no-one likes being the new kid in town. And that notion applies even to paintings.

Taking a positive, half glass full perspective, I guess this exercise has been a useful way of taking stock of where my painting abilities have improved and where they still require further development.  And I do feel some hope that I can still improve on this painting enough so that I'd be happy to hang it on my lounge room wall. 

I think I'll work on this some more over the weekend and see if I can make some additional improvements.  I can feel some time is going to be spent drawing and painting boats this weekend. And painting delicate leaves on trees.  Any other suggestions?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! :-)

3 comments:

  1. I think that it is a fantastic effort for your first ever landscape painting! Maybe a couple of boats or a jetty or boathouse may look good, but I like the colouring and detail of the trees and the reflection on the lake. Look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is a fantastic effort for your first ever landscape painting! Maybe a couple of boats or a jetty or boathouse may look good, but I like the colouring and detail of the trees and the reflection on the lake. Look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you anonymous for your kind words. It is heartening that you like my painting. Boats are on the way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!