Sunday 15 May 2011

The Story Behind My First Charcoal


Title:  "Not a Portrait of Kate"

Yes, I will admit, this post features an artwork from when I first started art lessons in February this year (rather than something I've drawn today). 


However, I'm hoping that you may like to have a look at her and hear the background story behind this particular artwork.  

I think it is probably fair to say that it was a combination of this piece of art, coupled with my pastel lady (which you can find in April's posts) that really made me fall in love with all things art.

I loved working with the charcoal!  I had so much fun  smudging and making a great big mess of the paper, my skin, my clothes, the table....  
And because I know at least one of you out there is wondering this very question, I have decided to answer it truthfully: Yes, dear reader, this being my first "life portrait" experience, I did giggle as I drew her bottom.  (Hmmm, would that mean that I was 'cracking' up? Sorry that was a tad rude and distasteful.  I shall wash my own mouth out with soap and water! ;-))

After I finished her, when I proudly took her home for the compulsory show and tell experience (AKA "Look what I created tonight, boys!").  My husband, not surprisingly I guess, liked it.  My children, however, were absolutely aghast and said  "Mummy!  That's naughty!  That's *rude*!"

Needless to say, they forbid me from hanging her in the hallway...

I am going away for a few days and hope to be posting better than ever by later in the week!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!