Friday 18 November 2011

No Longer Undecided - Thanks For Your Help!

Hi There

A big thank you to those people who provided very useful feedback, where, in this post, I asked for some advice as to which medium and style of painting I should use to create a little landscape painting that I intended to use as a Christmas gift for a relative.  I was fascinated that the replies were split pretty evenly.

After a lot of thought and deliberation, here is the finished product:


I'm really happy with how the painting has turned out!  I hope you are too, as I consider it a team effort!

I decided to use all your advice by combining both pastel AND watercolour.

The technique I used was so much fun and was so enjoyable, I just have to share with you how I created my masterpiece (just in case I've inspired you to try painting your own composition in this style):

First, you create an "underpainting" using pastel on Rains paper. (Rains paper is not only a brand, but a type of paper.  It is really important you use this specific type of paper, as it is actually 100% cotton, rather than wood pulp.)  After you've completed your pastel creation, you take good old vegetable oil on a brush and then "paint" the pastel in. You can finish your composition at this point or, if you'd like, you can then take a watercolour pencil and add fine detail over the top.  If you'd like, after you've finished working with the pencil, you can either leave it, or, once again, take a fine paintbrush and use water to create different effects.  Honestly, this technique is so much fun - if you can try it yourself, I'd urge you to.  The colours you can create are absolutely magic.  I'm just sorry my photos don't do the artwork justice!

Here's another photo of my landscape framed  as the gift recipient will see it (glass is my enemy):


Now I just have to cross my fingers that my gift recipient actually likes it!

Again, thanks so much everybody for your help deciding on the direction I should take with this painting -  I really do appreciate it.

Have a wonderful weekend, I'll see you next week with more of my Kate-land adventures!

Kate
x

4 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks stunning! Especially all matted up in that frame! Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate

    Great work. I love the way your painting looks in that frame.
    I have had an inkling to paint, and a woman I met recently is going to bring some materials to me so I can have a go.
    I need to express myself in other mediums other than sewing. :)


    Thanks for your tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, thanks ever so much for your feedback. I'm thrilled you like it so much. Are you going to try it yourself "You know who"? :-)

    I'm glad you are going to paint Jan, I find it incredibly relaxing and love the way my mind feels totally at peace whilst I'm going about creating.

    Anyway, thanks once again for your feedback guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate

    your picture looks great - a real blend of both of the best features of the first two.

    The sky looks awesome and there is some lovely definition on the landscape.

    I admire those who can paint, very clever!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!