Sunday 12 June 2011

Self Portrait, Take #2

I ordered Jack Hamm's book, Drawing the Head and Figure from the Book Depository website a couple of weeks ago.

From the next day onwards, like an impatient child, I checked the mailbox daily, feeling more and more dejected as weeks passed and it failed to arrive.  Then, last Friday, the book *finally* appeared in my mail box. Being the calm and controlled person I am (not!), I immediately set about devouring the content.  Not being terribly patient with the notion of drawing noses and lips for a month, I decided that I would try drawing myself again.  As such, here I am:


I think that I can definitely see some improvement here on my first attempt at a self portrait.  (You can have a look at last week's post for this if you wish to compare.)

I was pleased that when I asked my boys if they liked my drawing of a pony (what can I say, I like to tease), they giggled and replied, "That's not a pony, it's a picture of YOU, Mummy!".  So there you go.  I have to giggle that this post essentially outs my secret identity, when I've been so protective of my privacy.  Oh well.  I guess it's all in the name of art.  I wonder if anyone will recognise me?

The featured hairstyle is one I used to have a couple of years ago.  As I haven't got any printed pictures of me with my latest 'do' and I haven't read the section in the book on how to draw ears, I figured a short bob would solve all my problems at once!

I must say that I don't think I'm quite this attractive in real life, but hey, one should be allowed artistic licence, otherwise what's the point in doing a self portrait? Only kidding.  I'm going to tease you now, dear reader by telling you that the only way to find out how accurate this picture is, will be to keep checking back on my blog to see how my face unveils itself as my drawing and painting abilities improve.  Until then, you'll just have to wonder "Does Kate really look like that?" I'm not telling! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!