Wednesday 12 October 2011

I Have Officially Become a Pencil Pusher

Why?

Because I swear I am so determined to improve my ability of drawing faces, that I just can't stop trying to draw them.  It's almost like an obsession.



Yes, it really is true. At any given moment, I'll grab a pencil and a pad of paper and try my hardest to draw a face.  On 'proper' paper (as my kids call it), on the back of envelopes, on bills.... on anything with a small blank surface I can get my hands on really.

The only catch with this wee obsession is that I cannot begin to articulate to you how utterly frustrating it is to see a face and then try to draw it, only to create what could best be described as being a clownish, outer-space freak. ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Still, I'm not going to give up.  You see, I believe I am very slowly seeing some improvement in my sketches and the 'placement' (for lack of a better word) of the features on the face.  I figure that surely, if I keep studying and keep practising, I will improve.  (For those who are wondering about my mind-set, let me remind you all that I do live in Kate-land - a place where reality changes according to the phase of the moon and how much sleep I've had the night before.)



Ultimately, I think it is fair to say consider these artistic endeavours and 'quirks' to be part of a journey I'm on.  As a result of this, I don't mind the fact that it is taking time to get the hang of some pretty important skills.  I'm not in a rush (much).

Honestly, I truly consider the biggest issue I've got with this whole pencil pushing business is that the trusty family dog keeps getting hold of my pencils and chewing them in half.  Yep, she sees a pencil, she eats it.

I can't tell you how many she has eaten.  She'll pinch them off a table; she'll knick them off my desk and she will most certainly devour any she discovers on the floor.  Yet she won't eat Shmakkos (an Aussie dog treat).  No sir.  Only the finest 2B leads will suffice for my little furry princess.

Clearly, I need to work out how to draw teeth. And eyes.  And noses.  Oh well.

I hope my scribbles in today's post haven't made you cry out in pain.  Just feel comforted that the dog ate the pencil that drew these images.  And I ate the paper.  (Nah, only kidding.  I don't have a pica complex.  The drawings have been safely hidden away in a place, never again to see the light of day.)

Ultimately, I just hope you can tell from today's post that I really am trying.... ;-)

Thanks for stopping by!  I hope to see you 'round here again soon,

Kate
x

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely! Yes, I think I agree with you. I can still see a way to go. (Sorry that I had to delete your actual comment, it's just because I don't like posting identifying things (such as names) in my posts.) Mwa! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!