Monday 17 October 2011

It's a P-P-P (Pastel Portrait Practice)

Not of me (sadly).

Today's post features a study of Art Spectrum and Conte Pastels on Canson Paper of a 1920's lady. The background paper is actually the terracotta shade of her hair.  You'd never guess looking at the finished portrait, would you?!

No, I don't know what she is looking at, or thinking.  Perhaps her 1930's children are also refusing to give her a moment's peace and quiet as she comes running out of the bathroom yelling "I told you NOT to put marshmallow's up your brother's nose!".  Or maybe not.



I have to say that I am feeling rather pleased with this particular pastel work.  I'm particularly proud of the fact that I drew her freehand.  Yep, no copying, tracing or general cheating - just me, my pencils and then my pastels.  I'm also pleased that  feel I'm starting to get a little more of a feel for creating a natural looking skin tone.    I think the only thing I could maybe improve on is really emphasising her shoulder-blades a little more.  The are hinted at in the painting, but I think they are not strong enough.  Oh well.  I didn't notice until I saw her on my screen and I most certainly haven't the energy to change her now.

Anyway, thanks for sharing in my pleasure today, I hope to see you around soon!

Kate
x

2 comments:

  1. I like the colouring of her skin and the background. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you anonymous! I'm relieved I am getting better at creating a nice skin tone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!