Monday 2 January 2012

2011 Review, Part II: What Was (a) Flop

Happy New Year!

I hope 2012 has started off wonderfully for you.  So far, mine has been peachy keen.

Well, my 2011 review just wouldn't be complete if I didn't give my top five "flops" just one more glimmer of time in the spotlight, before they become part of my recycling.   (I don't believe in hoarding.)

These five little artworks were selected because they had the honour of  either causing me intense feelings of frustration and annoyance, or, for their ability to make me laugh till tears rolled down my face at the way they unintentionally turned out

So, here I go!

In no particular order, please delight in my top five "What a Flop!" art works for 2011:

1.  The Promising Start (which I then managed to wreck):





This was one of the few paintings I've completed where I honestly felt just a little lump in my throat when I realised how badly I managed to muck it up.  Look at her sweet little face here, isn't she gorgeous?

Now look at  how I managed to destroy her...


(I'm so embarrassed I don't want to share!)




(Oh, OK, in the name of honestly, peace and goodwill I will.)




(Here goes.)




(Brace yourself)


(Brace yourself further and strap yourself in):




I know, I  know, I KNOW!   Yep, with a few dapper dabs of  my paintbrush I wrecked her. Now, can you see what I'm capable of?!


2.  Kate in Drag:


This was one of my first attempts at a self portrait, and my goodness, can't you tell?!  I look like I'm in drag.  Impressively, I don't even look like me!  (I guess that means my identity will stay secret for another day...)

3.  I'm Freaky (and I know it):  


This was my first attempt at drawing a child using my trusty pastels.  I think I have managed to capture a look in the child's eye which says "I'm gunna come and get you!  I'm gunna give you nightmares.... give me a lolly pop, or else!"

4.  My Nemesis - Watercolour mayhem:



These "flowers" were my very first attempt to use watercolours.  The paintings were so bad, my husband thought that one of my kids had painted them.  (Not a compliment when one hasn't even started school yet.  Ouch!)  This disaster was the spectacular commencement of  my very own personal battle: Kate ~vs~Watercolour, the greatest artistic struggle of the millennium.  (Nothing quite like being dramatic to get the point across, right?)


5.  The Accidental Rude Gesture:



So here's the story....  I was doing a quick little pencil sketch of a boy in an attempt to improve my drawing skills (I know, I'm so diligent!).

I was drawing away, merrily, when I suddenly looked down at the paper and realised that it looks suspiciously  like this charming little boy is (I don't know how to say it without being improper.......) well..... flipping the bird.

He's not!  It's his fourth and little finger, I promise.  It's just that I can see it most certainly doesn't look that way.  I couldn't stop laughing when I realised what I had done.  It was like my drawing was telling me what it thought of my drawing!  Nothing like honest feedback, I guess.

Well, there you go,that concludes  my top five flops review  for 2011.  I hope you had a giggle, (as I did), having a look at the artworks.

I have absolutely no doubt that 2012 will continue to have its own share of artistic disasters.

 The thing is, I'm as proud of my flops as I am of my hits.  Because it means I'm not afraid to experiment or try something new.

I consider it's the mix of the disasters and the (relative) masterpieces that makes this whole artistic journey to be so fascinating and fun.  And by my sharing, it helps others to realise  that being an artist is not just about having an innate talent - but rather, that it's about trying and experimenting and just plain doing things, just because.  Regardless of  the outcome.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope to see you around again soon,

Kate
x

1 comment:

  1. Kate remember that we are our own worst critics but I did have a chuckle at some of your comments

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!