Saturday 14 January 2012

It's Hard to Say Goodbye...





Today's post is a little bittersweet I'm afraid.  You see, my family and I have been dog-sitting Ivy, a cocker-spaniel these past five months while her owners have been overseas.

Ivy and I have loved having lots of walkies and heaps of cuddles, although she has nearly driven me crazy with her penchant for chewing my good quality pencils in half! I think she finds it very satisfying to hear the little snap and have a good old gnaw on the lead.   Ivy has also loved my children and my children have loved Ivy. She had a rough start adjusting, but now she has truly become part of the family.

As such, my little boy is heartbroken that Ivy's visit has come to an end.  He knows he has to say goodbye and that Ivy was just ours for a little while.  He understands  returning Ivy to her owners is the right thing to do.  Unfortunately, that doesn't make the pain any less.  A couple of days ago, he asked me to do a special drawing of  Ivy for him, so that he can always remember her.  Oh, it hurts as a Mummy to see your children so sad!

I drew Ivy using predominantly Conte brand pastels on card and deliberately left some of the pastel marks showing to help give textures, movement and personality.   My husband likes her and thinks that the picture reflects her personality.

Farewell Ivy, thanks ever so much for being a part of my family - even if it was just for a little while!

Kate
x

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely reminder of your guest, I am sure she will get to come back and visit again.

    Your blog keeps me motivated to keep trying in my efforts to sketch and paint. I am nowhere near as good as you but I enjoy it and find it a nice meditation. When I am sketching or painting there is nothing else going on inside my head, I am just in the moment which is as it should be. It is a break from everything else plus being a challenge.

    Thank you for your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment, KJ. I am glad that you are creating as well. I love the thought that you are out there "doodling" just like I do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!