Saturday 9 April 2011

The Great Pastel Discovery Commences.....

Just this past month, I've discovered the joy of pastels.  Coming from a musical background, the notion of using my fingers in a visual creative process to not only draw, but to blend, smudge, smear and just make a general pastelly, blurry mess appealed greatly.

My wonderful, gentle and inspiring art teacher, Ms Cathy suggested I use pastels to draw a beautiful woman in a veil.
I banished the little sing-song-inner-voice that seemed to be on repeat, "You're gunna smudge her! She's gun-na smuuuuuuudddddgggge!" from my consciousness and in no time at all, the pastels were snapping (oops!), my fingers were covered in all colours of the rainbow and the paper was covered.  It was so exciting to discover that purple could be used as part of her skin tone, blue could be used in her hair and green to highlight her veil. I was working upside down with the picture and my lady and after a couple of hours I turned her the right way around to find I had created...
I was so shocked to discover that she ended up looking relatively human at the end of the process.  I kept wondering out loud "Did I just do that?"  This, my friends, was the picture that made me first wonder.... It's been previously proven I have some musical ability, but could I possibly, at all, have just a teeny, tiny, incy, wincy smidgen of artistic creativity as well? Or was this a one off fluke?  Only time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!