Wednesday 27 April 2011

Why Watercolours are the Toddlers of the Paint World

I have decided that for a beginner painter, watercolours are the toddlers of the paint-world.  Here's why: 

Tulips

  • They like to push the boundaries;
  • Just when you've got them looking clean and pretty they go behind your back and make a mess of themselves;
  • You're constantly struggling to get them to drink enough water;
  • When they finally increase their water intake, you then discover they've consumed too much and now they won't eat their dinner the paper is so saturated, it starts to warp;
  • They constantly drive you to distraction but you love them anyway (most of the time). 
Honestly - tell me that you can't see the similarities too!

  
Lilly-pilly blossom



         
Cherry blossom

 





 
Gumnut blossoms
Today's post features some of my very, very, very first attempts at using watercolour as a painting medium.   I sure hope I improve, because what I'm seeing at the moment is a little depressing!  Still, it's a starting point, right?  Onwards and upwards! 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful paintings Kate, an excellent start. Watercolours are tricky!! But I'm sure you will "tame" them :P
    My favourite is the gumnut blossoms, lovely ^_^
    I'm visiting from the Simple Savings thread - please follow my blog at http://scathingweekly.blogspot.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your articles are inventive. I am looking forward to reading the plethora of articles that you have linked here. Thumbs up! wholesale toddler clothing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!