Friday 16 September 2011

Does Anyone Else Love Tree Tunnels? (Part 1)

Or is it just me?

When people think of a landscape that makes them feel happy, some people imagine the beach; others the mountains.  Me, I dream of tree tunnels.

I think it is because I have wonderful memories of walking or driving through these when I travelled with my husband and kidlets across the UK a couple of years ago.  Without fail, every time we walked or drove through one, there would be an inevitable, excited and almost involuntary  "Woooooo-hooooo, Treeeeeeee Tunnnnnneeeellllll!" shout of glee from one of the kids.   I ask you, how could you not love tree tunnels after such sweet experiences?

So, when Ms Kathy suggested that I paint something in oils in art class last night, it didn't take long for me to come up with the concept of painting my own tree tunnel so I could relive happy memories every time I looked at it.

I can tell you that whilst the concept was easy, the "minor" issue of perspective and light coming into play, most certainly wasn't!  It was actually quite frustrating in a way.  Still, after a couple of hours, I managed to complete my under-painting of my tree tunnel in Autumn:


I still have a long way to go to complete this oil painting.  Firstly, it needs to dry (around a week - oh why does it have to take so long for oil paint to dry!); I need to address a couple of slight "directional light and shade" issues; add some leaves; amend a couple of tree trunks; add a couple more tree trunks and just generally fine tune the painting.  Still, I think it is a reasonable start.

I hope that you have a wonderful weekend, full of fun and relaxation - why not try walking through a tree-tunnel?   Just make sure you shout a "Woo-hoo!" as you walk through the tunnel, in order to have a properly satisfying and fulfilling tree-tunnel experience.  You won't be disappointed.

I'll see you next week, I'm off in search of my closest park.

Kate
x

3 comments:

  1. Well it just so happens I love tree tunnels too Kate. I love them even more now I know the real name for them. Such a great expression for them. It entire scene looks so endearing and calming and that path looks like it leads to a world of mystery and enchantment. Thanks for taking me there Kate. Enjoy your weekend sweet girl. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love tree tunnels, I always think there are fairies living there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it! I'm really quite excited about the potential of this painting - it will be interesting to see where it ends up. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!